The world's first and only greenEMAS®
Short for Engineered Material Arresting System, an EMAS is an arrestor bed built of energy-absorbing material designed to crush under the weight of the aircraft, safely decelerating it and bringing it to a safe stop.
Runway Safe provides not just an innovative EMAS solution, but the world’s first and only green EMAS – a durable, sustainable and cost-efficient solution to mitigate safety area deficiencies. The primary construction material is a lightweight aggregate foam made from recycled glass.
The patented Runway Safe greenEMAS® system is comprised of three main components. The first is a recycled energy-absorbing loose fill material known as foam glass. The second is a durable polymer concrete cover, which acts as a protective layer and helps to arrest the aircraft. And the third is the actual sub-structure for anchoring the bed to the underlying pavement.
The key features of the greenEMAS® system are:
- Low lifecycle cost
- Low maintenance cost
- Fast repairs - loose fill material can be stored on site
- Encapsulated construction
- Made of inert material, absorber and cover materials not susceptible to the elements
- Safe and controlled deceleration
- Low lifecycle impact on the environment
- Cost-efficient pour-in-place construction
- Customazible jetblast resistance
- Fast installation, built on site
Runway Safe’s EMAS system was approved by the FAA in 2012, after extensive R&D.